Friday, June 5, 2009

Lookie Lookie Ice Cream Cookie

The countdown has less than 8 hours!!! 8 so very short short hours until I FINALLY get to do my first BASE jump. My nerves are a lot calmer after the first day of class. I feel they've addressed my two biggest worries to date.

My biggest worry was being able to climb over the railing of the bridge. We practiced that at the end of the bridge today and it's not as hard as it seems. Of course that's when you have ground 4 inches below your feet. Something tells me that crawling over that railing when there's NOTHING underneath you will be oh so very different.

My other worry was if I could back the canopy neat enough for a BASE jump. In skydiving you have LOTS of time, no OBJECTS to hit if you don't open exactly perfect, and a ton of time to deal with any unforeseen complications. A neat pack job will greatly increase your chances of a perfect opening. My pack job is damn fine ... MUCH better than ANY skydiving pack job I've ever done.

On the bright side, since I don't have a reserve canopy, my malfunction list is reduced dramatically. I can't have a reserve + main entanglement ... no reserve. Bonus! I can't have a premature AAD opening on my reserve ... no reserve. Bonus! See how nice it is to remove your reserve parachute?

Well folks, I'm rambling (Sedwick in case you couldn't figure it out on your own) and I should probably try to get a decent night's sleep. Wish me luck, safe and gentle landings. I'm told that dry landings are not required.

No comments:

Post a Comment